Why is getting an accurate moving estimate so important?
There are so many new things you will learn about when moving to a new home or office! Considering how complicated most moves are, this is to be expected. Things like the distinctions between local and long-distance moves, the assortment of specialty services, as well as the details of moving contracts are undoubtedly on that list. But there’s one thing people don’t talk about enough. And that’s the importance of getting an accurate moving estimate when hiring movers. As soon as you find out that you’re moving, you should put this on your to-do list. Regrettably, too many people don’t recognize just how important accurate moving estimates are or why. This is why we at Preferred Movers NH decided to clarify things. Read on to discover everything about moving estimates.
The importance of getting an accurate moving estimate
Before we get into how to get a moving estimate as precise as possible, let’s talk about why one is important. While there are multiple reasons for this, the first one is the most important. But do consider them all carefully.
Getting an exact moving estimate will give you an accurate idea of your moving costs
When it comes to hiring the best and most affordable movers Kittery ME has to offer, budget planning is essential. After all, you want to save as much as possible on moving so you can live comfortably in your new home. If you want to plan your budget correctly, an accurate estimate of your moving costs is paramount. And one type of estimate, an in-home estimate, can provide you with more accuracy than others. We’ll talk more about that later. For now, keep in mind that the more accurate your moving estimate, the fewer unforeseen costs in the future.
It is often the case that the final price differs a lot from the initial estimate movers gave you, much to their dismay and embarrassment. Therefore, you should do all that you can to avoid unpleasant financial surprises when moving. In other words, you need to be sure that you know the actual moving cost so that you can plan your budget accordingly. Getting an accurate moving estimate will require some time and effort on your part. However, it’s worth it.
You can utilize the moving estimate process to help with your choice of movers
When looking for the right long distance movers in Maine, you should check their license and insurance, reviews, services, and prices. But you should also not overlook your instincts and comfort around the company. The process of getting a moving estimate, especially an in-home one, is very helpful in that sense. Namely, it will be an opportunity to feel out the movers, their customer care, their attitude, and maybe even their level of expertise. The more realistic their estimate is, the more reliable they probably are. Anything that seems like a red flag to you should not be disregarded.
It’s an opportunity to discuss the relocation with your movers
Planning a relocation is no joke. Especially when you don’t have a lot of experience with moving. It’s only reasonable that you need all the expert help that you can get. And asking for an estimate is a good time to get it. The moving company will have an authentic picture of your house and itinerary. Therefore, they will be able to consult you on the specifics of your relocation. Use this time to get the answers to all the questions you may have! Meanwhile, keep an eye out for any lowball estimates and avoid them as best you can.
How to get an accurate moving estimate
There are three types of moving estimates: online, over the phone, and on-site estimates. The first two can give you an approximate idea of your moving costs, but can rarely be as accurate as an on-site one. Only by looking at your home and the belongings you want to relocate can the movers determine:
- the time it will take to move your possessions, as well as how many movers will be needed, in the event of a local move;
- the weight of your shipment and the required additional services in the event of a long-distance move;
It is essential that a moving company representative sees first-hand how many and what type of items you have for moving. They can also spot any obstacles in your home (stairs, for example) that might raise the estimate. Only then will they be able to create a realistic estimate and inform you of the actual cost of your relocation. Of course, you can give them most of this information yourself, but it will take some time to take pictures to send them, as well as remember everything that may be of importance. And even then, there’s a chance you might skip an important piece of information that could lead to an inaccurate moving estimate.
Provide the movers with complete and clear information
As we mentioned, movers have to have all the right information in order to give you an exact moving estimate. And you need to do your part in this.
- Show the moving company representatives everything you plan to move to your new home or office. Do not forget that if anything is left out of the estimate, the final cost will be higher than predicted.
- Create an inventory of the items you intend to move before the estimators come to your home. That way you can ask for a copy of the inventory from each company and compare it to your own. This will help you make sure nothing is missed and everything is correct.
- Notify the estimator of any particularly large or heavy items, such as pool tables, hot tubs, etc. Also, inform them of extremely delicate items like grandfather clocks, electronics, artwork, etc. Tell them if you have a piano for moving, as piano moves in NH usually require specific equipment and techniques. They should know about the very valuable items you want to relocate as well, antiques, family heirlooms, collectibles, etc. Discuss your options with the movers – specialized services, appropriate packing supplies, and so on.
Given that getting an accurate moving estimate is incredibly important, it’s in your best interest to do your part and provide the necessary information.