How to organize a sustainable local move
Moving is always exciting and challenging, but it is certainly not known as an eco-friendly process. If you are about to organize a sustainable local move, you have to prepare well. Your focus has to be on your environment. Movers Concord NH can help you with that. So you can have a sustainable local move where you won’t have to worry about your belongings and where you will reduce your carbon footprint. If you want to organize it on your own it can be actually simple, if you plan ahead. And along the way, you will be also able to save some money and set an example for others to follow. It is crucial to take care of the environment.
How to prepare for a sustainable local move
You have to be aware that relocating your belongings from point A to point B has a pretty big impact on our planet. There’s the fuel you use for traveling, the things you toss out. And of course the packing materials you use once and then throw away. It all adds up, so you have to follow some rules in order to ease it up to our planet.
Here are some tips that will help you on your journey:
- Donate your stuff – this might be the perfect time to get rid of clothes that you almost never use, books, tables, and much other stuff that you probably won’t use in your new home. Don’t throw it away, instead just donate it. There are many organizations you can choose from. And they will come right to your home to pick up your stuff.
- Use things you already have in order to organize a sustainable local move – Of course you are going to need boxes for packing. In order to reduce your carbon footprint, try to use containers or other items that you already have. Such as plastic bins, suitcases, gym, bags, reusable grocery totes.
- Get used boxes if you really need them – In order to move green try to get already used boxes from your friends, family members, or grocery and retail stores. You can also use social media pages to check if anyone has spare boxes, so you can pick them up.
- Hire a green moving company – Try to find a moving company that is committed to eco-friendly moving. Check potential movers Portsmouth NH in order to find a green moving company.
Be creative with packing materials when trying to organize a sustainable local move
Other packing materials that you might use to wrap your items are not so easily recycled. You have special collection points for those items, but unfortunately, many people do not use them. Instead, they end up tossing a lot of the packing materials in the trash.
You should start with what you already have. Use your towels, comforters, linens, and even some clothes to safely wrap up items for packing. You can then use newspapers which you can throw after use in your standard recycling bin. You may also find a biodegradable alternative to bubble bags. It is made to work just like bubble bags, but it’s biodegradable, compostable, and recyclable. Make sure to do your research and stock up on any eco-friendly packing supplies you may need well before moving day. On the other hand, if you do not have the time, you can always hire eco-friendly moving companies which offer a professional packing service. And they will pack your belongings safely and transport them to your new location.
Be mindful about recycling, because it is really going to help our planet. The accumulation of trash is unavoidable when you are moving. There is going to be a lot of stuff that you just want to throw away. In that case, you should make a plan in advance about the items that you won’t be needing in your new home. But if some items have a sentimental value to you, you can always rent a storage unit in the city you are about to move to. So you can store those items that have value to you but not fit in your new home.
Recycle everything you can
When it comes to recycling, it is not just about plastic bottles and cardboard boxes. There are many more items that you can recycle that are in your household. Everything from batteries to old electronics. You can take those items to special centers instead of throwing them away.
Here are some of the items that you can also recycle:
- Batteries – They contain toxic substances like lead, sulfuric acid, and cadmium, which can leak into nearby waterways. You should take them to a local library or post office because they usually have a recycling center for batteries.
- Electronics – In case you have an old PC or laptop you can take it to a local resource recovery center. Bring also all the unwanted cords with you. In case that items are functional, you can also take them to Goodwill or Habitat for Humanity—places that often accept donations for these kinds of goods.
- Appliances – Microwaves, old TVs, and other appliances contain lead. Be sure to take them to a local Best Buy, where the items will be recycled.
You should also know that many resource recovery centers accept open cans of paint, stain, and varnish. So if you have those in your old garage, head to the next recovery center and drop them off.
Having to organize a sustainable local move can be a challenge. But if you prepare well in advance, you will be able to have a successful relocation. You have to set an example for people to follow. No matter if you are doing it on your own or hire professionals based on movers reviews to help you, we have to take care of our environment in order to contribute and save our planet.