How long does it take to pack a house for a move?
How long it takes to pack a house for a move depends on how organized you want to be when you arrive at your new home. If you are packing in a hurry, then you often renounce some organization instead of speed. However, some people prefer to take extra time during the packing process to organize belongings to simplify their moving-in process. Depending on how big your house is, how many belongings you own, and whether or not you have additional storage such as garages, attics, or basements, packing for a move can take from 1-7 days.
Things to do before you pack a house for a move
Before any move, you will need to spend a lot of time packing up your things and making sure nothing gets left behind. It is good to start this process way ahead of time. Think six weeks or more, in advance if possible. Once you get down to the last couple of weeks, there will be plenty of chores to get to. You might get surprised by how long it takes to pack up a room. For instance, a four-bedroom house may take you six full days to pack (and you will probably have to work). Here is a general estimate of the number of days spent packing that you will need:
- Studio or one-bedroom apartment: 1-2 days
- A two-bedroom apartment or home: 2-3 days
- Three bedroom house: 3-5 days
- Four bedroom house: 4-6 days
- Five bedroom house: 5-7 days
It makes sense to assume you will need the maximum amount of estimated time. Therefore, if you have only planned to move your studio apartment in a day, but it turns out you need more time, you may be in a bit of a time-crunch pickle. Furthermore, make sure you get in touch with packing services NH to help you out.
Consider various options when you are about to pack a house for a move
First and foremost, think of hiring a good moving company to pack for you. Preferred Movers NH offers many services, including packing your home for you. Therefore, if you do not have the time to pack your home or do not want to, experienced movers can do it instead of you. The cost of professional packing adds about 75% to 100% to the cost of a local move. This cost includes both the packing materials and the labor.
Furthermore, you can save yourself time and do not pack what you should not pack. There are a few items we recommend movers pack for you on the day of the move. It will cost you less stress, time, and money to allow local movers NH to pack these items quickly:
- Large pictures
- Hanging clothes
- Flat-panel televisions
We all know that packing is not fun or easy, but it can be manageable if you do it in parts. For example, you can pack for a few hours in the morning and afterward take a break to do something fun like reading or having a snack. Then pick up where you left off, it will be enough time to take breaks here and there. It can also be fun to listen to a book on tape or music while you are packing. It makes the time go by faster!
Make packing go faster and easier
If you do not have the recommended number of days, there are some ways to pack faster:
- Ask for help – Getting help is key to speeding up the process. Ask family or friends to assist because having two people working will cut the time in half.
- Start with a plan – Instead of constantly stopping to search for tips in each room.
- Specialty boxes, like wardrobe and dish pack boxes, can speed up the process because they are easier to use with specific items.
- Before you start, make sure to have plenty of packing paper, tape, and boxes because having to stop and run to the store wastes time.
- It is more efficient to tackle an entire room, so finish it before moving to the next. Once you complete each area, you will be more motivated to continue to the next one.
- Have bins ready for the trash, donate and sell piles. Then take them with you one room after another. When you come to something you do not want to keep, place it in the proper bin.
With movers by your side, everything will go faster
Many people hire professional movers and never look back, thanks to the time and energy it may save. On average, movers need between eight and twelve hours to pack up a four-bedroom house. Here is a practical guide to help you estimate how much time your movers will need:
- Studio or one-bedroom apartment: 2-4 hours
- A two-bedroom apartment or home: 3-5 hours
- Three bedroom home: 6-10 hours
- Four bedroom home: 8-12 hours
- Five bedroom home: 10-13 hours
Of course, these are just estimates. A minimalist household will speed up the moving process, while a larger household may take longer to pack up and move out. Therefore, remember to dial movers Portsmouth NH and have no worries on your mind.
Here is why you should hire a professional moving company before you pack a house for a move
Unfortunately, moving is considered one of the most stressful life events. Delegating part of the moving process to a reliable company will eventually result in a less stressful experience. Movers are more efficient and trained in handling large loads, which decreases the risk of injuries. Therefore, whether you hire professionals or pack on your own, make sure you sort out your items first and get rid of everything you do not need or do not like. That will not only speed up the packing process but will also make your move cheaper.
So good luck with your way of the pack a house for a move! Make sure you follow bits of our advice, and you will have no worries on your journey. Moreover, think about what you will need on unpacking day. Having a separate box with the kettle, mugs, glasses, tea, coffee, and pre-packaged snacks will assure you are not low on energy. Just makes sure you know what to expect from full service movers. That will give you a clear spectrum of essential facts when it comes to professional movers.